Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Disneyland

Ok.  I really have a hard time putting together these "bigger" posts.  It requires so much thought, time & I always agonize over what pics to use & what to not use.  Ultimately this blog is for me to slurp into blurb & make a book with (still working on 2008 - yikes!)  so there's probably more info than you all care to know.  Anyway, here's some highlights from our most recent Dland trip.

Wednesday
We took the 7:05 am flight. 

Just in case the plane goes down, Luke is prepared.

We arrived at 9:30.  Picked up a 9 passenger Suburban, completely loaded the thing up & drove to The Grand Californian.  This was our first family trip using DVC & we were excited to see the 2 bedroom condo.

Our view of California Adventure from our room

Judd & I had lunch at club 33 while Mom & Dad & Jordan took the kiddos to Pizza Port for lunch & I think they even got a ride or two in.  Ok, Club 33.....Judd has been wanting to visit this place forever.  If you want to know what it is google it.  Too much to explain in this blog post.

 Our nice waiter took this pic for us!

I didn't think about explaining the layout when I was taking pics, I was just taking pics.....try to follow me, if you care!

If you go down these stairs, following it to the left down then you will be at the entrance.  When you first walk in you see this glass elevator and the stairs to the left of it.

We rode the elevator up, cool glass elevator huh?

The elevator is now at my back & we will turn right across from those chairs

On the left is a harpsichord that Walt Disney bought over seas & it has been there ever since.  Past that there are the dessert tables.  Very yummy stuff!  Across from that is the salads/fruits/vegies.  The sides & desserts are buffet style & your entree is brought out when it's done.  Kinda weird, I know.  So at the very end is the dining room.

You can kinda see the dining room, it's really small.  There was a large (12 seats) table in the middle then everything else was smaller tables.  I would guess maybe seating for 40 ish.  Oh & that's Judd too (hehehe)

I have pics of our food on our iphones so I'll add those later.  I had halibut with steamed asparagus & mushroom risotto.  Judd had a center cut of fillet Mignon.  I can't remember what else came with it.  So everytime you get up they fold your napkin in a fun little design.  Crazy huh?!  It was almost one of those places where it's uncomfortable to eat because the waiter is standing against the wall waiting for you to get up, need something or sneeze.

We asked to go out on the balcony.

Pretty huh?

Thursday

Was pretty uneventful.  We arrived at Toy Story Mania (first thing am) only to find it closed & lots of people working in there.  Luke decided to sneak in anyway.  I hopped the metal fence to get him, landed wrong on my foot & limped around for the rest of the trip.  Anyway, I hopped the fence & he was almost to the front of the ride.  All the workers were laughing at the duckling running around (he was wearing his Ducks jersey).  One lady stopped him & brought him to me.  He told her he wanted to see Woody.  She laughed & said that hopefully the ride would open soon so he could see him.  Turd. 

I don't know what days these were actually taken.  Does it really matter?!




Friday
We were all excited for this day.  We were going to Micky's trick-or-treat party!  We had a normal day then went back to the hotel, had a spaghetti dinner.  I think I have a pic of that......


Then the kids got in their costumes.  Yay!

Matthew & Savannah watching a parade from the balcony.  I have no idea why Matthew is wrinkling his nose.

This is sadly, the only picture I have of all of them.  Out in the hallway right before we head out. 

We left there with around 40 lbs. of candy

That's our guess.  Thank goodness it can be a carry on!

Ok so Mickey's trick-or-treat party.  Hmmm, I'm mixed on this one.  Cons - You have to buy tickets for it & they're not cheap.  It was soooo crowded I thought I was going to loose my mind!    Pros - They close the park at 7 to everyone w/o a ticket.   There is a parade, rides are open, little dance party's & there are candy stations everywhere.  The pic above proves the point.  And it's open until midnight.  But truthfully I didn't find that a pro because my kids are little & pooped out by 10 pm.  Would I do it again?  I don't know that it was worth the $.  Besides the Disney hotels (Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel & Paradise Pier) did trick-or-treating for those guests of those hotels (for free).  There's my take & the info, use it how you want.

Having said all of that the kids said it was soooo much fun.  That's all that matters!

Saturday
The boys rented a car & drove themselves to the Ducks vs. USC game.  They were so excited to go!

I wanted a pic of them in their Ducks gear but didn't think about it until they walked away.  There they go.......

So Mom & I enjoyed meandering with the kids, riding whatever.  The only problem was it was SO crowded.  Really bad!  When they block off the sidewalk between New Orleans Square & Pirates because the Pirates line is 45 minutes long, you know it's bad.

We left, walked around downtown Disney for a while then hopped in the car to go to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant over at Knott's Berry Farm.  If you ever get a chance, it's yummy & good prices.  We arrived to find it so crowded with people.  It finally occurred to us that not only was it Halloween day it was Saturday day too.  They were doing the Knott so Scary haunted house.  Or something like that.  We drove back to Dland area & ate at Mimi's Cafe.  Another place that if you get a chance is really yummy & reasonably priced.  The boys came back after kids were in bed & Mom, Judd, Jordan & I went back & rode a few more rides before calling it a night!

Sunday

We saw the Aladdin show in California Adventure.  A must see, in our minds!  It was also the night we saw World of Color.  That was fabulous!  All week long we could see & hear the music from our balcony & it looked great but it was so great from the ground perspective!  They would close the park and then until 4 am would practice this water/laser show.  A few nights I had to give out cough medicine & could see the lights out there.  Disneyland never sleeps.  I really think they have just as many employees at nights as during the day.  Crazy!  Anyway those two shows are fabulous & I recommend them to anyone heading to Dland.

If my memory serves me right this was also the day that I finally braved up & rode Screamin' California.  This is my mom's favorite ride.  She's a crazy lady because that is one scary roller coaster!  I actually rode it 2 times.  The second time we asked to be up front.  Judd & I sat behind Jordan & mom.  My mom was giddy happy afterwards.  I had to check to see if I peed my pants.  Glad to say I have ridden that ride.  Judd lovingly pointed out that it only took 4 years & 7 trips.  Thanks Judd!

Here's a few more pics.....


 Both look disgusted the ride is over

 Hang on Grandpa, Matthew's driving!


Monday

We left the sunshine & came home to the rain.  Thanks Mom, Dad & Jordan for coming along on our fun trip! 

I will have to come back & add more pics later.  My time is up I gotta get Matthew from school!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yea for the happiest place on Earth! I am glad you had a good time and tried new things! You didn't tell me you rode screamin! What a brave girl you are! Loved the tour of Club 33!